Friday, October 10, 2008

The final project. Duh duh duh…

(1) Reflections on what I think I need in order to move forward on my final project? (more concrete questions, more reading in a particular area, etc.)
I am interested in the hesitancy in classmates registering for Second Life accounts. Given that all of us are enrolled in a course entitled “Social and Communicative Aspects of the Internet and other ICTs” and that all/most/many of us are studying within Communication, Computing, and Technology in Education, I would have expected a higher rate of adoption. As a result, I am interested in possible reasons for this resistance to embrace this particular technology.
I am planning on looking more into questions about how identity is formed, online representations of identity and any similarities or differences between the two. Due to my relative lack of familiarity with the field, these areas all look like ripe for further reading and questioning. To be honest, I do not think I know enough about the field at this time to ask any informed questions...

(2) How can you get what you need?
I am unsure whether or not, at this time, I will be conducting a traditional literature review/discussion of a given topic or a project/mini-study. I am initially swaying towards the literature review because of my lack of background in the area. I do not think I really know enough about this subject area to conduct a proper study. I think I will initially investigate studies/readings concerning traditional forms of identity formation, studies/readings about online identity formation and any overlap through an online and offline search of Columbia resources.

4 comments:

Marion said...

I've been thinking about this same irony regarding myself - some (most) of the readings in this class leave me feeling very negative regarding technology - yet here I am: an Instructional Technology Master's student.

11 years ago I literally "willed" myself into the graphic design industry after a decade of bohemian wandering as a Fine Artist. This decision brought me headfirst into working with technology. It's a strange thing really - I'm basically going against my innermost self that just wants to "think, dream and paint" - and I know that's at the root of a lot of my negativity. More ironic, however, is the fact that once I DID learn certain tech skills - I was anxious to learn more, knowing what it would enable me to do creatively. Basically, I liked the "results" of things I saw being done and wanted to do them which meant: keep up with technology.

Amy Rae said...

Hi Dino!
Like Marion, I have issues with technology... haha. But specifically, I'm a bit wary of Second Life -- for no particular reason. I think it would be a really interesting project to tease out some of the factors that are keeping net-savvy users from Second Life. Good luck!

jennifer said...

Good topic Dino. Like Amy, I also think it would be interesting to examine the split in attitudes towards Second Life. Given that it's not just a generational thing, I'm surprised at the negative attitudes towards it, especially in our own program. Personally, I see virtual worlds as entertainment, like a game. I just can't seem to get past the fact that avatars don't look real and no matter how much I try to make an avatar resemble me, it isn't me.

Phil Martin said...

Personally, I think the hesitation to enter Second Life has to do with the name. If SL were called Joe's World, I don't think this phenomenon would exist. Second Life brings up uncomfortable reincarnation thoughts that may require us to leave first lives behind.